Use a good quality beef like fillet or tenderloin for this Chinese Beef with Bell Pepper Recipe. Our Chinese Beef with Bell Pepper Recipe is a stir fry that is very quick to prepare and cook but is both an attractive and tasty dish suitable for any occasion. It is important to slice the beef thinly. Try putting the beef in the freezer compartment of your refrigerator for 30 minutes or so before you cut it.
Ingredients for Chinese Beef – Bell Pepper Recipe
<500 gm Beef, finely sliced (Fillet or Tenderloin) 2 Onions, peeled and quartered 30 gm Dried Shiitake Mushrooms
1 Red Bell Pepper, seeds removed and sliced
1 Green Bell Pepper, seeds removed and sliced
2 Cloves of Garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp Fresh Ginger, grated
1 Tsp Szechuan peppercorns, crushed
1 Tbsp Chinese sweet cooking Wine
1 Tsp Sesame Oil
1 Tsp Corn Starch, mixed with a little cold water
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 Beef Stock Cube
1/4 Tsp Chinese Five Spice
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1/4 Cup Water
1. Soak the dried mushrooms in warm water for 30 minutes. Drain and remove the stalks and finely slice the caps.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok over a medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and fresh ginger together with the five spice powder and fry for 2 minutes. Add the beef and continue to stir fry until the beef is golden brown. Add the onion and cook for a further 2 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and Bell Peppers and toss well for 2 minutes.
4. Add the corn starch, crumbled stock cube, soy sauce, rice wine, Szechuan peppercorns and water and bring to the boil, stirring well until the sauce thickens.
5. Add the sesame oil, mix well and serve.