Our goat recipe, Szechuan Ginger Goat, comes from the Sichuan province of China. Szechuan cuisine is renowned for its strong or spicy flavours and Szechuan Ginger Goat is no exception, using liberal amounts of ginger and garlic. Whilst this is a goat recipe, you may substitute lamb for the goat meat if you prefer.
Ingredients for Szechuan Ginger Goat Recipe
450 Grm Lean boneless Goat meat (or lamb)
3 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Black Bean Sauce
120 Grm Thinly sliced fresh young Ginger
30 Grm Finely minced Garlic
1 medium sweet Green Bell Pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
1 medium sweet Red Bell Pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
1 Tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 Tbsp Corn Starch (Flour)
2. Into a large bowl, add the Chinese Rice Wine, 1 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce and the strips of goat (or lamb) meat. Stir well and set aside
3. In a medium bowl whisk together the Corn Starch (Flour), 2 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce, Sweet Chili Sauce and Black Bean Sauce and set aside.
4. Heat the Vegetable oil in a wok or large pan over a high heat until it begins to shimmer. Add the red and green Bell Pepper strips and fry until they just begin to soften. Remove the Bell Peppers with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
5. Reheat the oil in the wok until it starts to shimmer and add the strips of Goat (or lamb) meat. Fry for 2-3 minutes stirring well
6. Add the Ginger, Garlic and the sweet Bell Peppers and stir well.
7. Add the contents of the medium bowl (Corn starch (flour),Black Bean Sauce, Sweet Chili Sauce and Light Soy Sauce) and stir well. Cook until the sauce begins to slightly thicken.
8. Remove from the heat and serve with rice.