What could be more delicious than our Chinese style Mango Chicken recipe. With crispy coated succulent chicken and luscious ripe mango in a tangy sauce, Mango Chicken is a special treat and so easy to prepare and cook. If you can’t find fresh mango, tinned mangoes can be substituted. Once the chicken has been added to the sauce, this dish should be served immediately or the batter will become soggy.
Ingredients for Mango Chicken – Chinese Style
3 Boneless Chicken Breasts, skin removed, sliced into bite sized pieces
2 Fresh Mangoes, peeled and sliced ( or 1x450gm Canned Mangoes)
3 Shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
6 Spring Onions (Scallions) sliced diagonally
2″ Piece of Fresh Ginger, peeled and finely sliced
2 Tbsp Chinese Rice Wine
2 Tbsp Chinese Rice Vinegar
1 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
1 Tsp Sesame Oil
2 Tsp Cornstarch
1/2 Tbsp Sugar
2 Chicken Stock Cubes
1/2 Cup Water
1 Cup Tempura Flour + enough water to make a slightly stiff batter
Vegetable Oil for deep frying
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1. Mix the Tempura Flour with water in a bowl to form a slightly stiff batter.
2. Add the chicken pieces and ensure all the pieces are coated with the batter.
3. Heat the vegetable oil for deep frying in a large pan or deep fat fryer. When the oil is hot, add the chicken pieces in small batches and fry until golden brown. Remove the chicken pieces and drain on kitchen towels. Set aside.
4. Put the Soy Sauce, Rice Wine, Rice Vinegar, Sugar, Sesame Oil and Corn Starch into a bowl and mix well. Crumble the Chicken stock cubes into the bowl.
5. Pour the 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil into a wok and place over a medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the Shallots and Ginger. Fry for 2 minutes.
6. Add the sauce mixture from the bowl and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 or 3 minutes, adding a little extra water if required.
7. Add the Chicken pieces, Spring Onions (scallions) and Mango. Continue cooking for about 3 minutes, stirring well. Serve immediately.