This Hong Kong style Sweet Sour Chicken recipe is a great favourite in Chinese Restaurants around the world. The sweet and tangy flavours in our sweet sour chicken sauce complement the crispy, twice fried, chicken making a truly mouthwatering dish. The secret of a good sweet sour sauce is to get a balance between the flavours, not too sweet, not too sour. Try experimenting with the amount of sugar and wine vinegar to make a sauce to your own family’s taste..
Ingredients for Sweet Sour Chicken – Hong Kong Style
500g Chicken breast, skin removed and cut into cubes
2 Tbsp Chinese Rice Wine or Sherry
3 Tbsp Flour
1 Egg, whisked
Oil for deep frying
1/2 Large Red Bell Pepper (Capsicum) seeds removed and cut into small cubes
1/2 Large Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum) seeds removed and cut into small cubes
1 Large Onion cut into cubes
4 Tbsp Pineapple chunks
4 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
3 Tbsp Sugar
4 Tbsp Chinese Stock or water
1 1/2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1 Tbsp Cornstarch Paste (Cornstarch mixed with a little cold water)
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1. Place the chicken pieces in a glass bowl and add the Chinese rice wine or sherry. Season with salt and pepper and leave to marinate for 2-3 hours.
2. Strain any remaining liquid from the chicken and add the beaten egg. Stir well to ensure all the chicken pieces are completely coated
4. Using a wok or a deep fryer, add the cooking oil and put over a high heat. When the oil is very hot add the chicken pieces. Fry for 3 minutes. Remove the chicken from the wok or deep fryer and drain on paper towels.
5. Reheat the oil in the wok or deep fryer until it is very hot. Add the chicken pieces and fry until golden brown. Remove the chicken and set aside.
6. Put the vegetable oil into a wok over a high heat. When the oil is hot, add the Bell Peppers (Red and Green) and the Onion. Fry for 1 minute
7. Add the Tomato Paste, Soy Sauce, Sugar, Red Wine Vinegar, Chinese Stock (or water) and bring to the boil
8. Add the Cornstarch Paste and stir well.
9. Add the Chicken pieces and the Pineapple chunks and stir well.
10. Serve while hot