Semur Ayam is a highly aromatic Indonesian stewed chicken dish. Our recipe for Semur Ayam uses a variety of fresh spices giving the chicken a glorious fragrance and we added some coconut milk to give the stewed chicken an extra touch of richness. This is a very popular dish in both Indonesia and Malaysia.
Ingredients for Indonesian Stewed Chicken – Semur Ayam
500 gm Chicken thighs, cut into pieces
1 Potato cut into bite size chunks
1 Small Onion, sliced
1 Tbsp Garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp Shallots, finely ground
1/2 Nutmeg, finely ground
4 Long Peppers, finely ground
1 1″ piece of Cinnamon, finely ground
3 Tomatoes, cut into small chunks
4 Tbsp Kecap Manis, sweet Soy Sauce
3 Tbsp Shallots, finely sliced and fried until crisp
1/2 Cup Chicken Stock
1/2 Coconut Cream
Vegetable Oil for deep frying
3 Tbsp Butter
Pinch of Salt
1. Deep fry the potato pieces until golden brown and set aside.
2. Add the butter to a wok and place over a medium heat. When the butter has melted and is hot, add the ground shallots, garlic, long peppers, onion, cinnamon, cloves, salt and nutmeg and fry until aromatic.
3. Add the tomato pieces and mix well.
4. Add the chicken pieces and continue frying until the chicken begins to brown.
5. Add the chicken stock and Kecap Manis sweet soy sauce.
6. Cover and continue cooking over a low heat for 30 minutes.
7. Add the potatoes and the glass noodles. Mix well. Add the coconut milk and mix well.
8. Place the contents of the wok into a serving dish and sprinkle with the crispy shallots. Serve.