Also popular in Malaysia, Ayam Kleo, is a Singapore recipe for Coconut Chicken. Coconut Chicken is spicy, fragrant and full of flavour. The chicken is cooked twice in this Coconut Chicken recipe which enhances both the flavour and the fragrance of the dish. The rich and spicy coconut gravy makes this dish quite irresistible.
Ingredients for Singapore Recipe – Coconut Chicken – Ayam Kleo
4 Chicken legs
2 Tbsp Lime juice
1 Tsp salt
7 Tbsp Chili Paste
1 Stalk of Lemon Grass, finely sliced
1 1/2 Cups Coconut Milk
3/4 Tbsp Tamarind Juice
3 Kaffir Lime leaves, finely shredded
2 Kaffir Lime leaves, finely shredded (for garnish)
Pinch of salt
3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1. Wash the Chicken legs in water and drain.
2. Rub the chicken legs with Lime juice, 1 Tsp Salt and 3 Tbsp Chili Paste and leave for about an hour.
3. Place the chicken legs skin side up on a baking tray and put in a pre-heated oven ( 450° F ).(Temperature Converter) Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
4. Using a large frying pan, add the vegetable oil and put over a medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the remaining 4 Tbsp Chili paste, Lemon Grass and 3 shredded Kaffir Lime leaves and fry for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add Coconut milk, Tamarind juice and pinch of salt. Stir well and bring to the boil.
6. Add the Chicken legs, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes, turning once or twice, or until the chicken is cooked through.
7. Put the Chicken legs on serving plates and pour the sauce over them. Garnish with shredded Kaffir Lime leaves.