This Crab Curry known as Poo Phat Pong Kari (Gari) is a truly mouthwatering curry and everyone I know just loves Poo Phat Pong Kari. The crab curry uses Pong Kari Curry Powder which is not hot so will suit all tastes. Our Poo Phat Pong Kari recipe calls for a whole fresh crab. Unfortunately, crabs seem to be getting quite expensive but the juicy crab meat mixed with the rich flavours of this curry make it more than worth the cost.
See our other Recipes from Thailand
Ingredients for Crab Curry – Poo Phat Pong Kari
1 Fresh Crab, uncooked (about 1kg)
2 Medium Onions, peeled an sliced
2 Tbsp Pong Kari curry powder
2 Tbsp Nam Prik Pao
3 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
3 Spring Onions, cut into 1″ pieces
2 Stalks of Chinese Celery, chopped
4 Small Chili Peppers, sliced (we used Prik Chee Fah)
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 Cup Milk
1 Tsp MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) or Sugar
1/2 Tsp Freshly ground black Pepper
1. Clean the crab thoroughly. Twist the legs and claws away from the body of the crab. Lift up the apron or tail flap and twist it off and discard. Pull the body of the crab apart and discard the gills, internal organs and cartilage. Chp the body into 4 sections using a cleaver. Using the back of the cleaver, crack open the claws.
2. Using a wok or large frying pan, add the vegetable oil and put over a medium heat.
3. When the oil is hot, add the crab pieces. Fry for 2-3 minutes or until all the pieces are cooked.
4. Add the Pong Kari Curry Powder and stir well. Add the MSG or Sugar.
4. Add the milk, Nam Prik Pao and the eggs. Stir well. Add the Oyster Sauce.
5. Add the onions, Chinese Celery, Chili Peppers and spring onions (scallions) and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes.
6. Remove from the heat and arrange on a plate. Sprinkle with the ground pepper and serve.