This Mung Bean Recipe is for a delicious Thai Dessert called Tao Suan. The Mung Beans must be hulled or skinned first and then soaked in warm water for 4 hours before using. Our recipe uses Tapioca Flour but you can substitute Corn Flour if you wish.
Other Recipes from Thailand
Ingredients for Mung Bean Recipe – Thai Dessert
100 gm Mung Beans, hulled/skinned
250 gm Sugar
1/4 Cup Tapioca Flour
4 1/2 Cups Water
(Coconut Cream Topping)
1 Cup Coconut Cream
2 Tsp Rice Flour
1/4 Cup Water
Pinch of Salt
Mung Bean Mixture
1. Mix the Tapioca Flour with 1/2 cup water and set aside
2. Soak the Mung Beans in warm water for about 4 hours. Remove and drain.
3. Steam the Mung Beans over boiling water until cooked (approx. 20 minutes). Remove and set aside
4. Put 4 cups water into a saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Add the sugar. Stir well until all the sugar is dissolved.
5. Add the Tapioca Flour mixture. Stir well until the flour is completely mixed in. Remove Pan from the heat. Place the mixture in a refrigerator until cold.
6. Mix together the Mung Bean mixture and the cold Tapioca flour and sugar mixture and place in a serving dish.
Coconut Cream Topping
1. Mix the Rice Flour with the 1/4 cup water and set aside
2. Put the Coconut cream into a small pan and place over a medium heat, stirring constantly until boiling.
3. Add Salt and the Rice flour mixture and stir constantly until the flour is cooked. Remove pan from the heat.
4 Pour the mixture over the Mung Beans in the serving dish. Serve.