This is a Thai recipe for Steamed Egg Custard, known in Thailand as Kai Dtun. Very simple to prepare and cook, Steamed Egg Custard makes an attractive dish to serve at parties or as part of any meal. Kai Dtun is usually served with prawns wrapped in minced pork but minced chicken can also be used.
Other Recipes from Thailand
Ingredients for Steamed Egg Custard – Thai Recipe – Kai Dtun
4 Eggs (Chicken)
4 Tbsp Minced Pork
1 Cup Chicken Stock or water
3 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Freshly ground black Pepper
2 Tbsp Shallots, finely sliced
2 Spring Onions (Scallions) finely sliced
1 Sprig Coriander (for garnish)
1. Clean the prawns and remove the shell. Do not remove the tails. Remove the black vein from each prawn.
2. Divide the minced pork into 4 equal parts and wrap each portion around a prawn, leaving the tail uncovered.
3. Whisk the eggs in a bowl. Add the salt, pepper, shallots, Soy sauce and the chicken stock or water. Mix well. Pour the mixture into 4 small bowls.
4. Add water to a steamer and bring to the boil. When the water is boiling add the 4 dishes with egg mixture. Steam until the mixture is almost cooked.
5. Place a prawn covered with the minced pork onto each of the bowls and continue to steam for 15 minutes.
6. Remove the bowls from the steamer, sprinkle with the spring onions (Scallions), garnish with coriander and serve.