We used green tapioca pearls for this Thai Tapioca Pudding. Green tapioca pearls are coloured and flavoured with Pandanus leaves. The coconut flesh should be from a young coconut and will be soft and moist. If you cannot find green tapioca pearls, just use ordinary tapioca pearls and put 2-3 Pandanus leaves in the water when you boil the tapioca pearls, removing the leaves when the Tapioca is cooked.
Other Recipes from Thailand
Ingredients for Tapioca Pudding
1 Cup Green Tapioca Pearls
1 Cup Young Coconut , sliced thinly
1 Cup Coconut Cream
1 Cup Sugar
4 Cups water
1/2 Tsp Salt
1. Put the water into a saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat
3. Add the sugar and the Coconut flesh (retain a few strips of the coconut for garnish). Stir well until all the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat.
4. Put the Tapioca mixture into a serving dish and garnish with the retained strips of Coconut.
5. Using a small pan, add the Coconut cream and the salt and bring to the boil slowly over a medium heat, stirring often. Remove from the heat.
6. Spoon a little of the Coconut cream over the Tapioca Pearls and serve.