Thai Chicken in Pandanus Leaves, called Gai Haw Bai Toei in Thailand, is an interesting and attractive way to serve chicken. Thai Chicken in Pandanus Leaves can be served as a snack, appetizer or part of a Thai style meal. Inside the Pandanus leaf, the chicken will be fragrant and juicy. If you can’t find Pandanus Leaves you can use greaseproof paper but obviously this will not look as attractive.
See our other Recipes from Thailand
Ingredients for Thai Chicken in Pandanus Leaves
300gm Uncooked Chicken, cut into cubes
12 Pandanus Leaves
Vegetable oil for deep frying
1 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
1 Tsp Brown Sugar
1/2 Tsp Freshly ground Black Pepper
1. In a large bowl mix the chicken, Soy Sauce, Oyster Sauce, Sugar and Black Pepper and leave to marinate for 1 hour.
2. Carefully wrap each piece of chicken with a Pandanus Leaf (in a similar way to knotting a tie)
3. Pour the Vegetable Oil into a wok and put over a medium heat. Add the chicken and fry for a few minutes until the chicken is cooked.
4. Remove the chicken from the wok and drain on kitchen paper.
5. Serve while hot. To eat, unwrap the chicken and discard the Pandanus leaves.2leep.com