We used Thai Arabica coffee in our Thai Coffee Dessert but you can use any instant coffee. Our recipe for Thai Coffee Dessert uses Agar Agar as the setting agent. Agar Agar is made from seaweed so is suitable for vegetarians. If you substitute Gelatin for the Agar Agar you do not need to bring the water to the boil after adding the gelatin. We have found that Agar Agar sets a little firmer than Gelatin especially in our hot climate and also sets at slightly higher temperatures. In Thailand, where we are, Agar Agar is also considerably cheaper to buy than Gelatin so our choice was easy.
Ingredients for Thai Coffee Dessert
2 Tbsp Warm Water
3 Cups Cold Water
1 Cup Sugar
2 Tbsp Agar Agar
1 1/2 Cups Coconut Cream
1 1/2 Cups Coconut Milk
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Agar Agar
2. Add 1 Cup of Sugar and continue to boil until all the sugar has dissolved.
3. Mix the Instant Coffee with the warm water and add to the pan. Stir well and remove the pan from the heat.
4. Pour the mixture into a jug and place the jug in a bowl of warm water.
5. Pour the Coconut milk into a pan and add 2 Tbsp Agar Agar. Bring to the boil over a medium heat and stir until all the Agar Agar is dissolved. Add the Coconut Cream, 1/2 Cup of Sugar and the salt and continue boiling until the sugar is completely dissolved.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture into a jug. Place the jug in a bowl of warm water.
7. Lightly grease whatever type of jelly molds you want to use. Pour a little of the Coffee mixture into each mold and leave until it has lightly set. Add a little of the Coconut mixture into each mold and leave until lightly set. Continue this process until each mold is full.
8. Allow the Thai Coffee Dessert to completely cool before removing from the molds. Serve cold.