I have been asked by several people for a Tibetan Food recipe called Beef Shapta. Unfortunately information on Beef Shapta is scanty but with what I have gathered I have put together this Recipe for Tibetan Beef Shapta. However, with very little to work from, and never having eaten this dish before, it is possible that some changes may have to be made. Hopefully, those of you who have eaten this dish will let me know how close my recipe is to what they remember. Regardless of this, my version of Tibetan Beef Shapta is well worth trying in its own right. I was unable to obtain Tibetan Yak cheese so I have substituted a fairly mild blue cheese.
Ingredients for Tibetan Food – Beef Shapta
450gm Good quality Beef for frying, very thinly cut into 3cm squares
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 Tsp Dried Red Chillies, finely ground
1 Tsp Kopan Masala Garam Masala may be substituted
2.5cm Fresh Ginger, finely chopped
4 Garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 Tsp Szechuan Peppercorns, roughly ground
1 Tomato, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
2 Tbsp Blue Cheese
4 Red Chillies, finely sliced
2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
1 Cup Beef stock or water
2. Add the vegetable oil to a large wok and place over a high heat. When the oil is hot, add the ginger, garlic, ground chili, Szechuan pepper, tomato paste and Kopan Masala. Fry until the onion is slightly browned.
3. Add the beef and continue frying until the meat is cooked.
4. Add the chopped tomato and the blue cheese. Continue cooking until the cheese has melted.
5. Add the beef stock or water and the sliced chillies and cook for a further 2 minutes.
6. Remove from the heat and serve.2leep.com