With such a wide range of different spices, this Vietnamese Beef with Bok Choy recipe is just bursting with flavour. Vietnamese Beef takes only a few minutes to cook so try to use a good quality cut of beef. We used 6 different spices, more if you count the spices separately in Chinese 5 spice powder. Our first attempt at this dish was rather too sweet for our taste so we have reduced the amount of sugar but you can adjust this as necessary.
Ingredients for Vietnamese Beef with Bok Choy Recipe
450 grm Beef (Tenderloin or Sirloin)
450 grm Baby Bok Choy
1 Spring Onion (Scallion), cut into 1″ lengths
1/2 Red Bell Pepper, seeds removed and cut into cubes
4 Shallots, skinned and finely sliced
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
3 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
1 Tbsp Honey
1 Tsp Sugar
1 Tsp Oyster Sauce
1 Tsp Sesame Oil
1 Tsp Cumin Powder
1 Tsp Freshly ground Nutmeg
1 Tsp Coriander Powder
1 Tsp Freshly ground Black Pepper
1 Tsp Chinese 5 Spice Powder
2 Tsp Chili Powder
1. Mix all the ingredients for the marinade together in a bowl
2. Slice the Beef very thinly and cut into short strips (placing the beef in a freezer for a few minutes first will make this easier)
3. Add the Beef to the marinade and stir well to ensure all the beef is coated. Leave for 30 minutes.
4. Wash the Bok Choy. Boil some water in a saucepan and add the Bok Choy. When cooked, drain and place on a serving dish.
5. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok over a high heat. Add the beef and stir fry until the beef is about half cooked. Remove beef from the wok and set aside
6. Add the shallots, Bell Pepper and Spring Onion (Scallion) to the wok and stir fry for 1 or 2 minutes. Add the beef to the wok and continue cooking until the beef is cooked through.
7. Place the beef over the Bok Choy on the serving dish and serve hot.2leep.com